Biography - Peter Mitchell
Drawing from 25 years of practical experience, Peter Mitchell is highly regarded, qualified and internationally recognised authority in cider & perry making and tasting. He is a professional trainer and presenter, acts as an adviser to clients across the world, is a UK and USA competition judge, an author and an award-winning producer in his own right.
Peter runs his own specialist training and consultancy business - Mitchell F&D Limited, which includes the highly regarded Cider Academy. Through Taste & Explore, the company also operates expert-led cider tours within the UK and organises workshops, short courses, events, tutored tastings and other activities for all those (professional and amateurs alike) who have an interest in, or want to find out more about cider and perry.
Currently Peter is Chairman of the Three Counties Cider and Perry Association and serves on the Training Group of the National Association of Cider Makers (NACM), where he recently took a lead role in developing and establishing the acclaimed NACM Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation. He now acts as lead tutor and examiner for this industry qualification.
Work and Employment
- Current position: Owner and Manager of Mitchell F&D Ltd - a business that provides a specialist and unique service for, and within the Cider Industry.
- The Cider Academy provides training and consultancy/advice to current members of the Industry and for new business ventures.
- Taste & Explore offers a range of activities and services for corporate clients and the general public linked to the discovery, exploration, experience and appreciation of cider and perry.
- Out of the Orchard: Peter also manages his own small-scale demonstration commercial production facility based at The Orchard Centre, Hartpury, Gloucestershire, UK incorporating fruit processing fementation, downstream processing and packaging facilities. A range of fruit-based products are made for sale - jointly branded under Out of the Orchard - including fresh-pressed juice drinks, cider, perry, fruit wines and vinegar.
- Past roles:
- Head of Core Food & Drink - A Centre of Excellence for the Cider, Food & Drink Industry. Based at Pershore Group of Colleges, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of The Hindlip Centre for Cider, Food & Drink Industries. Based at Hindlip, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of Cider Production and Food Technology, Worcestershire College of Agriculture, Worcester, England.
- MSc. (Distinction) Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology (Food) - Wolverhampton University, England. Research thesis: Malo-lactic Fermentation in Cider
- BSc. (Hons) Physiology and Biochemistry - Reading University, England
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (Distinction) Further Education; Science - Wolverhampton Polytechnic
Cider Making and Technical Experience:
- Commenced cider making in 1983.
- Founder, part owner and manager of Hindlip Cider from 1993 - Commercial production and packaging of ciders and perries.
- Founder and manager of Avonbank Ciders & Perries from 2000 to 2002 - based at Core Food & Drink, Pershore, England
- Lecturer in Cider Production. Includes development & management of web-based Internet “learning tools”
- Cider Industry consultant: UK, Europe, USA, Canada, China
- Clients include: Bulmers, Gaymer Cider Company, Diageo, Aspall Cider, Thatcher's Cider Company, Henney's Cider Company, H Western & Sons Ltd., R J Sheppy & Son, plus a number of business start-ups, and small/medium scale cider & perry companies based in the UK, USA, Canada and Eastern Europe.
- Research: Malo-lactic fermentation; characteristics, effects and control of Saccharomycodes ludwigii, pasteurisation of cider; cross-flow filtration of cider; yeast selection for cider making; general production methods; mechanisms of support for small & medium scale producers.
- Author: “Out of the Orchard - into the glass”. The official textbook for the NACM's Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation, 2005, NACM & Mitchell F & D Limited. ISBN 0-9551033-0-4. “Cider Making Technology”, 2004, China Light Industry Press. ISBN 7-5019-4268-4/TS.2524. “Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider Production: The Application of Selected Lactic Acid Bacteria Starter Cultures to Induce and Carry Out a Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider”. 1996. MSc. Thesis, University of Wolverhampton.
- Competitions and Awards: Overall Champion - Hereford Cider Museum International Cider Competition, 1998. CAMRA Pomona Award, 1998. Numerous 1st prize/Gold and Silver awards in UK national & international cider competitions from 1996 to 2006
Other Relevant Work & Activity:
- Lead developer and founder-chairman of the Three Counties Cider & Perry Association, England - currently Chairman and Technical Representative.
- Member of the National Association of Cider Makers'(NACM) Executive Committee.
- Led development for the Guild of Craft Cider Makers Quality Mark scheme
- Involved in political lobbying for the Cider Industry at regional and national level in the UK
- Member of NACM's Training Group and led development of the NACM Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation
- A lead developer & founder member of the Slow Food Three Counties Perry Presidium
- Nationally (UK) and internationally recognised “Industry Champion”
- Through Taste & Explore, has operated a range of cider tours, short courses and workshops, tutored tastings and other events for the general public and corporate clients.